Tokyo Rentals Y.K.
RENTAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS 2019
Tokyo Rentals Y.K. is a Japanese Corporation that is approved by the Japanese Government to operate, rent and sell broadcast equipment and vehicles in Japan. Tokyo Rentals Y.K. handles the www.tokyorentals.co.jp website and offers broadcast gear and motorcycles for rent according to the following Terms and Conditions.
MOTORCYCLE RENTALS: Terminology and Details
The RIDER : the person who rents the motorcycle and has signed the Tokyo Rentals Y.K. ‘Rental Agreement’, and the Tokyo Rentals Y.K. ‘Terms & Conditions’.
(1) The RIDER must be at least 21 years of age to rent and ride the motorcycle. For some motorcycles – clearly marked in the “ available Motorcycles “ site – minimum age is 25.
(2) To rent and ride a motorcycle with an engine size of 251cc or greater, the RIDER must show us a valid, unrestricted motorcycle class driver’s license. “Unrestricted” means a license valid for riding all sizes of motorcycle.
(3) To rent and ride a motorcycle with an engine size between 51cc and 250cc, the RIDER must show us a valid motorcycle class driver’s license.
(4) In order to rent and ride a motorcycle with an engine size of 50cc, the RIDER must show us a valid driver’s license.
(5) The RIDER, if not holding a valid japanese license, must show us a valid passport and a visa or tourist stamp for Japan valid at least until the end of the rental period.
(6) The RIDER, if not holding a valid japanese license, must show us a valid “International Driving Permit” from the country where his/her domestic license was issued. Japan only recognizes international driver’s licenses that are issued by countries which have signed and ratified the 1949 “Geneva Convention on Road Traffic”.
An exception to the above rule are RIDERS from Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, France, Monaco, Slovenia and Taiwan : they are allowed to use their original domestic licenses in Japan yet only together with an official Japanese translation of their original license. This official Japanese translation can be acquired through JAF or their embassies/consulates in Japan. Please check our International Licenses pages for more details.
(7) The RIDER must, when picking up the motorcycle, allow Tokyo Rentals Y.K. to take photocopies of all documents mentioned above. Tokyo Rentals Y.K. will keep all such private information in confidence unless otherwise justified.
(8) The RIDER agrees to authorize Tokyo Rentals Y.K. to charge the RIDER’s credit card for the following:
Extra mileage ( applies only for weekend rates with excess mileage ) , late return, and refueling
Damage, theft, loss or non-return of the motorcycle and/or any equipment
Expenses incurred by Tokyo Rentals Y.K. in order to bring the motorcycle and/or any equipment back to its original state and appropriate location
Any other expenses incurred related to or resulting from any of the above
1) To confirm a booking, payment is required in full.
2) To make a preliminary reservation requires a 25% down payment and final credit card payment at our office in Tokyo. Contact us by email and we will send you the details.
3) Payment must be made by using the payment facilities on the tokyorentals.co.jp website, unless otherwise agreed to by Tokyo Rentals Y.K. in writing.
4) For payments made using the payment facilities on the tokyorentals.co.jp website, only JCB, VISA card and MasterCard will be accepted.
5) Rental Rates differ depending on the length of the rental, outlined in the online booking issued and approved by Tokyo Rentals Y.K.
6) A rental day is a precise 24 hour period. Motorcycles and equipment can only be rented in blocks of 24 hours.
7) The length of the rental period is calculated using the agreed start date and the agreed completion date.
8) The rental booking may be cancelled at any time, however all cancellations must be received in writing by e-mail and a cancellation fee will apply.
9) Cancellation fees apply as follows:
- Cancellations made more than 30 days prior to departure : 95% refund of full amount.
- Cancellations made 21 – 30 days prior to departure : 75% refund of full amount.
- Cancellations made 11 – 20 days prior to departure : 50% refund of full amount.
- Cancellations made 1 – 10 days prior to departure : 25% refund of full amount.
- Cancellations made on day of departure or after departure : no refund.
10) All Tokyo Rentals Y.K. motorcycle come equipped with ETC toll reader however rentals with a rental length of up to 1 week do not include any additional equipment, unless otherwise stated in the tokyorentals.co.jp website. Equipment, such as ETC toll cards, navigation systems, pocket wifi, helmets, side cases, top cases and wet-weather gear are available for hire and should be booked and paid for along with the motorcycle.
- All Motorcycle rentals of 3 days or more come with unlimited mileage. The weekend rate from friday 2p.m. to monday 10 a.m. is limited to 250km/day for a total of 625 free kms. Every extra kilometer will be charged at a rate of 18 yen/km to the nearest kilometer.
- All prices on the tokyorentals.co.jp website include Japanese consumption tax.
13) Any kind of expenses incurred during the RIDER’s trip that are not explicitly mentioned as the responsibility of Tokyo Rentals Y.K. are the responsibility of the RIDER and are not the responsibility of Tokyo Rentals Y.K.
- Insurance Details / Deductibles, etc
All rental prices include a far reaching, comprehensive motorcycle insurance. Our coverage is sometimes criticized as being too comprehensive and resulting in higher rental prices than needed yet it is better to be on the safe side and so this insurance coverage is mandatory and not up for discussion. A detailed summary of this coverage is provided below.
Insurance coverage includes:
Motorcycle Insurance : yes, up to new value, deductibles apply
Theft Insurance: yes, up to new value, deductibles apply
Injury to 3rd party: unlimited
Damage to 3rd party property : unlimited
Rider and Passenger Accident / Injury Insurance
In case of death : 5,000,000 Yen / Person
Other injuries : 5,000,000 Yen / Person, depending on severity and after effects of injury
Rider and Passenger Injury Compensation – Insurance
treatment up to 4 days: once 10.000 Yen
treatment from 5 days for:
sprain,contusion,abrasion,bruise: once 100.000 Yen
fracture, dislocation,ligament rupture: once 300.000 Yen
limb cut, intraocular bleeding or hematoma.
rupture of the eyeball. : once 500.000 Yen
brain contusion, intracranial hemorrhage,
brain injury, cervical, spinal cord injury, organ
damage, chest abdominal organ damage: once 1.000.000 Yen
Deductibles / Exemption of Insurance Coverage in case of ACCIDENT / THEFT :
up to 1000 USD for any and every motorcycle
1000 USD is the amount which must be deposited at pick-up and will be returned immediately in
case of accident free return.
1) Before starting off with the motorcycle, the RIDER must complete the necessary documentation and take part in the pre-ride check-up at the Tokyo Rentals Y.K. office in Setagaya-ku, Tokyo. This procedure will take up to 1 hour, so the RIDER should arrive at our office about 1 hour before the planned departure. The pre-ride check-up includes an explanation of basic motorcycle maintenance, rider safety information, Japan road rules, insurance coverage/liability/responsibility, and what to do in the event of an accident / mechanical breakdown or trouble of other kinds
2) If Tokyo Rentals Y.K. cannot provide the reserved motorcycle due to unforeseen circumstances, a similar or better motorcycle will be provided at the same daily rate. If the RIDER is not satisfied with the replacement motorcycle, the RIDER may cancel the ‘Rental Agreement’ and receive a full refund of the amount for the motorcycle and equipment, provided however, the RIDER does not cancel the booking without rational reason. Refunds will be handled as soon as technically possible.
1) All Riders must agree to the following riding restrictions. If the RIDER is found to be in violation of any of the following restrictions, Tokyo Rentals Y.K. reserves the right to terminate the rental agreement and take immediate possession of the motorcycle. Additionally, if it is found that damage of any kind has occurred to the motorcycle or any equipment due to noncompliance with any of these rules, the insurance coverage may be nullified and voided and the financial consequencess are solely the responsibility of the RIDER and may exceed and are not limited to the amount of the deductible.
2) Anyone who did not sign a “Tokyo Rentals Y.K. Rental Agreement” and the Tokyo Rentals Y.K. “Terms and Conditions” is not permitted to ride a Tokyo Rentals Y.K. motorcycle.
3) The RIDER must be familiar with the road rules of Japan and at all times must observe the road rules of Japan and ride in a safe and responsible manner.
4) The use of the motorcycle is restricted to the 4 main islands of Japan (Honshu, Shikoku, Kyushu and Hokkaido) For use of our motorcycles in Okinawa please contact us. Taking the motorcycle out of Japan is not permitted.
5) Tokyo Rentals Y.K. motorcycles are not allowed on dirt roads, beaches, swamps, through water, mud, or snow.
6) All and any form of stunt riding or racing is strictly not permitted.
7) Unauthorized modifications or adaptations of any kind to the motorcycle are strictly non permitted.
8) Riding in extreme weather conditions is not recommended and any damage caused to the motorcycle will be the sole responsibility of the RIDER.
9) Riding without a helmet is strictly illegal in Japan and not permitted at any time for any reason. The RIDER shall not allow a passenger to be on the motorcycle without a helmet.
10) The RIDER must always be able to show the motorcycle registration and insurance documentation as well as all necessary documentation as explained in the above “Rider Requirements” paragraph of this document.
11) Use of the motorcycle for commercial purposes is not permitted unless written permission was asked for and given by Tokyo Rentals Y.K. earlier.
12) Tampering with the odometer of the motorcycle is strictly forbidden.
- Subleasing the motorcycle to any other person is not permitted.
ACCIDENT, RESCUE, REPAIR & OTHER UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES
1) All of Tokyo Rentals Y.K. motorcycles come with standard 24-hour roadside assistance, provided by JAF (Japan Automobile Federation). This roadside assistance is available in most cases anywhere throughout Japan according to JAF policy. In the event of any mechanical failure or any other incident making the motorcycle unridable, it is the responsibility of the RIDER to contact JAF and resolve the problem. After contacting JAF, the RIDER must immediately inform Tokyo Rentals Y.K. of the details.
2) In the event of an accident, it is the responsibility of the RIDER to contact the police (nationwide 110) as soon as possible and in case of personal injury if needed also rescue ambulances ( nationwide 119 ) Failure to do so will nullify the motorcycle insurance coverage, and lead to serious financial and legal consequences for the RIDER. After contacting the police, the RIDER must immediately inform Tokyo Rentals Y.K. of the details.
3) The RIDER is 100% responsible and liable for all traffic and parking violations. The RIDER must inform Tokyo Rentals Y.K. of any violations and must pay the fine in a timely manner.
4) Tokyo Rentals Y.K. ensures that all motorcycles and equipment are provided in good working order. Tokyo Rentals Y.K. will do everything possible to avoid any maintenance problems occurring during the Rider’s trip. As an example, all of Tokyo Rentals motorcycles come with a “ro” sign in the license plate. All motorcycles with a “ro” have to undergo yearly full safety inspection as opposed to the also possible 2 year inspection; at a minimum of at least 400 USD per inspection without any found faults. However, if a problem occurs which was caused by no fault of Tokyo Rentals Y.K, including sudden and unexpected mechanical breakdown or any incidents that were caused by a previous rider and were not picked up during regular inspection/service, then Tokyo Rentals Y.K. is not to be held liable for any consequences.
5) The RIDER is responsible for checking and maintaining engine oil levels and must report any mechanical failures to Tokyo Rentals Y.K. immediately. The RIDER will be held responsible for mechanical damage caused due to negligence in motorcycle operation or failure to provide normal maintenance.
6) If the RIDER’s trip is interrupted due to a faulty, damaged, or stolen motorcycle/equipment, Tokyo Rentals Y.K. will use the rescue services offered by JAF (Japan Automobile association) and the services offered by Tokyo Rentals Y.K.’s insurance provider, in order to facilitate the repair or replacement of the motorcycle/equipment, so long as the RIDER has not acted negligently. Tokyo Rentals Y.K. reserves the right to determine the appropriate course of action in all cases.
7) In the case of damage, theft, or any other kind of incident involving the motorcycle or any equipment, which interrupts the RIDER’s trip and which Tokyo Rentals Y.K. decides to warrant a replacement motorcycle, it is the responsibility of the RIDER to pick up the replacement motorcycle at the Tokyo Rentals Y.K.s Setagaya office in Tokyo or at a Tokyo Rentals Y.K. specified local destination. Tokyo Rentals Y.K. is not liable for any loss of time due to such an incident nor will compensation be provided for any expenses incurred by the RIDER due to the incident. We therefore highly recommend the RIDER to obtain a travel insurance so that the RIDER is covered in any such incident.
8) In the case of damage, theft, or any other incident which results in unforeseen expenses for Tokyo Rentals Y.K., Tokyo Rentals Y.K. reserves the right to charge the RIDER. For costs that are covered by Tokyo Rentals Y.K.s insurance, the RIDER will be liable up to the amount of the deductible. For costs that are not covered by Tokyo Rentals Y.K.’s insurance, the RIDER will be held fully responsible and liable. Tokyo Rentals Y.K. will charge the RIDER accordingly.
9) In the event of any damage to or loss of the motorcycle or any equipment, Tokyo Rentals Y.K. will immediately charge the RIDER’s credit card the full amount of the deductible. If the ultimate cost to repair or replace the item is less than the full amount of the deductible, Tokyo Rentals Y.K. will refund the excess amount and will send the RIDER a copy of the receipt for repairs or replacement. In the event that Tokyo Rentals Y.K.’s insurance is nullified or voided due to rider negligence and the cost to repair or replace the item(s) is more than the full amount of the deductible, Tokyo Rentals Y.K. has to and will charge the RIDER’s credit card for the full remaining amount.
10) In the event of an insurance claim, it is the responsibility of the RIDER to cooperate fully with Tokyo Rentals Y.K. in order for Tokyo Rentals Y.K. to carry out the formalities required by Tokyo Rentals Y.K.’s insurance provider. Failure to do so will nullify the insurance coverage and may lead to financial repercussions, which are solely the responsibility of the RIDER and may exceed and are not limited to the amount of the deductible.
11) If damage is not recognized at drop-off, but is recognized within 7 days thereafter, Tokyo Rentals Y.K. has the right to charge the RIDER’s credit card in order to make the necessary repairs or replacement.
12) Tokyo Rentals Y.K. is not responsible for any delays and interruptions to trips caused by extreme weather, flight delays, earthquakes, floodings, land slides , volcanic activity or any other acts of nature/acts of God. Tokyo Rentals Y.K. takes no responsibility for punctures. Tokyo Rentals Y.K. takes no responsibility for any mechanical problems caused through RIDER negligence and/or lack of care and regular maintenance by the RIDER. Tokyo Rentals Y.K. cannot be responsible or liable for any trip delays. Additionally Tokyo Rentals Y.K. is not responsible or liable for any injury, illness or death of any person during the trip. The RIDER indemnifies and holds Tokyo Rentals Y.K. harmless against any claim.
1) Motorcycle rentals of 3 days or more come with unlimited mileage, the friday 2 p.m. to monday 10 a.m. weekend rate mileage is limited to 625 free kms. If the RIDER exceeds the free km limit, every additional kilometer will be charged to the RIDER at a rate of 18 yen/km. Distances will be rounded to the nearest kilometer.
2) Fuel costs are the responsibility of the RIDER. All motorcycles come with a full tank of gas and are to be returned with a full tank of gas. If the motorcycle requires refueling when returned, the RIDER will be charged 3000 Yen.
3) Motorcycles returned late will incur an hourly late fee of 15% of the daily rate for that motorcycle. Motorcycles and any equipment returned 6 hours late or more will incur a full day of additional charges. All late fees will be charged to the RIDER.
4) If during inspection of the motorcycle and equipment it is found that any Tokyo Rentals Y.K. property has been damaged, lost or stolen, or if Tokyo Rentals Y.K. has incurred or will incur any other expenses related to bringing the motorcycle and any equipment back to its original state and appropriate location, then Tokyo Rentals Y.K. will charge the RIDER in accordance with these terms and conditions.
5) The non-return of the motorcycle by the agreed return date, without Tokyo Rentals Y.K. approval, will be considered a criminal offense. Non-return of the motorcycle by the predetermined time of return may lead to financial repercussions, which are the sole responsibility of the RIDER and may exceed and are not limited to the amount of the deductible.